Diastasis Detective Program
EXERCISE OF DISCOVERY (ab release)
RELEASING THE ABDOMINALS
It is possible to reverse the affects of built-up pressure in the abdominal cavity, by way of a simple exercise called abdominal release.
This may be the first time you’ve experienced this yourself, so here goes.
HOW TO PERFORM THE ABDOMINAL RELEASE
EXERCISE OF DISCOVERY
Get down on your hands and knees.
Alignment pointers are:
- Hands under shoulders
- Knees hip-distance apart
- Elbow pits facing forwards
- Shoulders away from the ears
- Ribs drawn in towards the spine
- Eyes facing the floor with the back of your neck long
Then, all that’s required is a complete release of the abdominal muscles down towards the floor below.
Observations for you / your clients:
- You may find it difficult to STOP this sucking in habit initially – so, you may find your abdominals go through an ‘on’ (sucked in) sensation, then an ‘off’ (relaxed) then ‘on’ (sucked in) again state, so just try and relax,
- For some people this exercise initially may feel slightly uncomfortable – remember, there’s a lot of built-up tension you’re trying to release here from years of sucking in, so go easy on yourself, and
- If your stomach’s gurgling, that’s good news – it’s your digestive system doing its job and moving food downwards, rather than it being squeezed and sucked in, and inhibited, in an upwards state.